How to transfer a private number plate
Our guide will walk you through the steps required to successfully transfer a private plate.
There are 3 types of private plate transfers
What are the 2 types of number plate certificates?
Registration entitlement is granted on a Certificate of Entitlement (Form V750) OR on a Retention Document (Form V778).
Certificate of Entitlement (Form V750)
The Certificate of Entitlement (Form V750) is a pink document issued by the DVLA for a vehicle registration that hasn't been put on a vehicle before. A V750 shows that the original purchaser is entitled to the number plate for 10 years.
Retention Document (Form V778)
The Retention Document (Form V778) is a green document also issued by the DVLA for a registration number that has been previously assigned to a vehicle. A V778 shows that the grantee is entitled to the number plate for 10 years.
We encourage renewal of Certificates and Retention Documents well in advance of the expiry date.
The steps you need to take are found on our How to retain a number plate page.
What are the vehicle requirements for transferring a number plate?
To satisfy the rules governing the transfer of a private registration, the vehicle to which the number is being transferred must:
- be registered with DVLA in the UK
- be able to move under its own power
- be of a type that needs an MOT or heavy goods vehicle (HGV) test certificate
- be available for inspection - DVLA will contact you if they need to inspect your vehicle
- have been taxed or been covered by a Statutory Off Road Notice (SORN) continuously for the past five years
- have current road tax or be covered by a current SORN. If the vehicle has had a SORN in place for more than five years, it must be taxed and have a current MOT certificate
- If you have a historic (classic) vehicle you'll also need a current MOT certificate, even if your vehicle is usually exempt from MOTs.
- If the registration is being transferred from one vehicle to another, then both vehicles must satisfy the criteria listed above.
Trust the team
Transferring a vehicle registration is a simple process. Of course, many people prefer the peace of mind provided by an experienced, professional team. That's why Regtransfers offers our customers the option of a fully managed transfer service, taking care of all red tape and formalities.
When you buy a registration with us select 'Hassle-free Transfer Service'.