Skip to content

Transferring car registrations and number plates

Transferring car registrations is a surprisingly simple process.

Transferring a registration on DVLA website

There are a few bureaucratic hoops to jump through, of course, but there is nothing overly complicated or difficult to understand.

Of course, many people prefer the peace of mind provided by an experienced, professional team. That's why Regtransfers offers our customers the option of a fully managed transfer service, taking care of all red tape and formalities.

On the other hand, for those who feel confident to complete the procedure without the support and back-up we offer, we provide the following information on how to transfer car registrations or private plates.

There are three main kinds of transfer

1. Vehicle to vehicle

Graphic concept of a transfer from a vehicle to another vehicle

The process of transferring a registration from one vehicle to another.

2. Retention document to vehicle

Graphic concept of a transfer from a certificate or retention document to a vehicle

When you want to replace the existing vehicle registration with another held on a Certificate of Entitlement (V750) or a Retention Document (V778).

3. Vehicle to Retention document

Graphic concept of a transfer from a vehicle to retention certificate

This is how you retain, or keep, a registration until you choose to assign it to a vehicle.

See the page How to retain a number plate.


In order to satisfy the rules governing registration transfers, the vehicle to which the number is being transferred must:

  • be registered with the DVLA
  • be available for inspection if required
  • be able to start and move under their own power
  • be the kind of vehicle that needs an MOT or heavy goods vehicle (HGV) test certificate
  • have been taxed or have been covered by a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) for the last 5 years without interruption.

If either vehicle has been declared off-road and covered by SORN for more than 5 years it will need to be taxed and an inspection may be required. DVLA will contact you if an inspection is required.

How to apply for a transfer

from one vehicle to another

You will need:

  • Download the form V317 from (The first page of the form, entitled 'Application to keep a vehicle registration number and put it on another vehicle' must be completed accurately with details of both donor and recipient vehicles);
  • Pay the £80 DVLA transfer fee

from a Certificate of Entitlement (V750) or Retention Document (V778) to a vehicle

You will need:

  • Either the V750 Certificate of Entitlement for a registration that has not previously been assigned to a vehicle or the V778 Retention Document if the registration has previously been on a vehicle (Both of these documents include an application section that you must complete accurately);
  • The V5C registration certificate (also known as the registration document or log book) for the recipient vehicle.

All documents and payment listed above should be sent to DVLA at the address shown on the V317 form.

Alternatively, it is possible to make the transfer application online at the DVLA website.

Related articles

  • Autocar
  • Autotrader
  • Car Magazine
  • Classic And Sports Car Magazine
  • Country Life magazine
  • Daily Mail
  • Daily Telegraph
  • Easyjet
  • Google
  • Sunday Times
  • Top Gear Magazine

© 1982 - 2022 Registration Transfers Limited. All rights reserved. Registered in England. Company registration number 03933658. 'Regtransfers', 'Reg transfers' and the Regtransfers logo are registered trade marks of Registration Transfers Limited.

Credit subject to status and affordability. Terms & Conditions apply (details). Registration Transfers Limited, trading as Regtransfers, is a credit broker authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Transfer House, 139 High Street South, Dunstable, Bedfordshire, LU6 3SS. Tel: 01582 967777 | Email us.

Return to the top of the page