About the DVLA
The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), is the agency responsible for maintaining the database of drivers and vehicles in Mainland Britain. The DVLA, which is based in Swansea, is also the body responsible for issuing motor vehicle registrations and for setting out regulations governing their display on number plates.
You may still occasionally hear the obsolete term DVLC used but the DVLC became the DVLA in 1990 and is now properly known only by the latter title.
The vehicle registration system
Vehicles using UK roads are identified with the DVLA registrations system. Registrations issued under the system have varied in form since its inception at the beginning of the 20th Century, but the basic elements have become standard and most plates include codes denoting year and place of issue as well as random characters that render the number unique.
For more information on the various registration formats that have been used over the years, please see our car registrations page.
DVLA number plates
We are often asked by customers if number plates can feature custom spacing to make the number/letter combinations look more like words or names. Sadly, without exception, we have to explain that such customisation is not allowed. Not only will we not supply, or facilitate the supply, of illegal non-standard DVLA number plates, but we have to explain to the customer that if they do find a manufacturer who will provide such plates then they risk trouble with the police and the DVLA. Penalties for contravening the regulations specifying the correct format for DVLA number plates may include hefty fines, and even the loss of entitlement to the car registrations involved.
For more information about the correct, legal display of DVLA number plates and registrations please see our number plates page.
Details of DVLA local offices (now closed)
PLEASE NOTE: The DVLA local offices listed on this page are now permanently closed. All paperwork pertaining to number plates and vehicle registrations should be addressed to the main DVLA offices in Swansea at the following address: DVLA, Swansea SA99 1DS .
The list on this page is being maintained solely for historical reference.
- Ground Floor Ty Glyder 339 High Street LL57 1YA
- Penrhos Road LL57 2JF
- Crosskill House, Mill Lane HU17 9JB
- 30 Granby Avenue B33 0SD
- Units 2/3 Elstree Gate, Elstree Way WD6 1JD
- Ground Floor, Bourne Gate, 25 Bourne Valley Road BH12 1DR
- Mocatta House, 4th Floor, Trafalgar Place BN1 4UE
- Northleigh House, Lime Kiln Close BS34 8SR
- Archway House, 77 Ty Glas Avenue CF14 5DX
- Ground Floor, 3 Merchants Drive CA3 0JW
- Swift House, 18 Hoffmans Way CM1 1GU
- Norroy House, Nuns Road CH1 2ND
- Caledonian House, Greenmarket DD1 4QP
- Wallace House, Lochside Avenue EH12 9DJ
- Hanover House, Manaton Close EX2 8EF
- 46 West Campbell Street G2 6TT
- Longman House, 28, Longman Road, IV1 1SF
- Podium Level, St Clare House, Princes Street IP1 1UT
- Unit 9, Finch Drive LS15 9JQ
- Firth Court, Firth Rd LN5 7WD
- Coronet House, 11 Queen Anne Road ME14 1XB
- Trafford House, Chester Road M32 0SL
- Eagle Star House, Regent Farm Road NE3 3QF
- Ground Floor, Riverside House, Riverside Way, Bedford Road NN1 5PE
- 11, Prince of Wales Road NR1 1UP
- Nottingham Business Park, Unit D, Orchard Place NG8 6PX
- Ground Floor, 3 Cambridge Terrace OX1 1RW
- 88 Lincoln Road PE1 2ST
- 5th Floor, The Connect Centre, Kingston Crescent PO2 8AH
- Unit A, Fulwood Park, Caxton Road PR2 9NZ
- Building B, Theale House, Brunel Road RG7 4AQ
- Cedar House, Hallamshire Court, 63 Napier Street S11 8HA
- Stafford Drive, Battlefield Enterprise Park SY1 3BF
- 12/18 Station Road DA15 7EQ
- St. Mark’s House, St. Mark’s Court TS17 6QR
- 1 Sandringham Park SA6 8AJ
- Pydar House, Pydar Street TR1 2TG
- Connect House, 133-137 Alexandra Road SW19 7JY
- Clerkenleap Barn, Broomhall WR5 3HR
These offices were open, business hours were Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 5.00 pm except on the second Wednesday of each month when they opened at 9.30 am. All telephone enquiries are now directed through the DVLA’s Swansea call centre on 0300 790 6802
Regtransfers.co.uk is not affiliated to the DVLA. This information is provided as a service to our customers.
The DVLA website may be found here.